Sunday, January 24, 2016

What transportation was provided? 
The  county country kids were provided buses but we city kids walked. I remember walking down the middle of N. Washington St. after a big snow storm in January on the way to school ( only three blocks). Wires and limbs were down in the street. We just stayed away from them.

Was there a national event that occurred during your school years?
The second world war was still in progress in my early elementary years. I remember the scrap metal drives -huge mounds of cans ect. on the courthouse lawn. We had a good Victory garden. Every week at school we would buy stamps (a dime would buy one stamp) to be collected in a bond book. They would be turned. into War Bonds.  Leather rationing was so bad that I have hammer toes from wearing shoes that were too small as I was growing.

Did you have after school jobs. 
In grade school after school, once a week, I would take out my next door neighbor's  "garbage" . After that I would take several books and a list of books she wanted to the library two blocks away and get her books.I loved this because I got to visit the upstairs where kids were not that welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment