Saturday, January 23, 2016

What is your favorite memory?:
As so often happens my favorite school memory was kind of a fluke. It happened right in the middle of my freshman year still in the Center Ward building which was right next to the Armory that housed our County Gym (you can see it in the back of my 6th grade picture). 
Anyway. one of the cheer teem made a poor choice of activity after a big basketball game and was eliminated as what we, then, called a "yell leader".
The powers that be decided there would be try-outs in the gym and the entire student body would elect a replacement. I was sitting up in the bleachers with my friends and we were all encouraging / daring each other to try-out. I gave in and joined the line of candidates. Second to last I gave it my best effort using "Grrrrawh Tigers". Then we all filed into the consessions hall so that we could be voted on. I felt so inferior to the mostly older kids that I went to the end of the line and was last to run on to the gym floor. Each  one was cheered when they appeared - I was afraid they would boo. Suddenly it was my turn. When I entered the gym the entire student body rose and cheered! I looked behind me in disbelief. But it really was me- a lowly freshman on the varsity cheer teem. 
That lasted out the year; then when they chose again the next fall I was replaced by an acrobatic dancer from Chicago. 

What are some fun or funny stories?:
In my high school junior year after home basketball games there was a cake walk. That was where  students walked one direction, in a circle around a blindfolded student  until the music stopped. Who ever was standing where the center pointer was pointing, won the cake. I was dating a college boy who worked nights in a factory to pay tuition. He very generously bought tickets for us. Just before the music stopped he gave me a little nudge that landed me directly in front of the pointer-so I won the cake. It was a  gorgeous double layer with full filling  and frosting. I was happy but disappointed that he had to leave right away and go to work. Just then a group of older "popular kids" came up and invited me to a party a few blocks away. My date said it was ok for me to take the cake and go. You can guess what happened. They almost demolished the cake. Then they started pairing up and going into dark rooms. I was left to walk home (three blocks) with the leftovers. 
Yes. I did marry that college guy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment