Sunday, July 17, 2011

Marge Anglin Gast wrote Anglin farm memories.

The weather we are in for this next week is almost as bad as the worst winter weather here because I will have to spend most of the time in the house. I can get out early in the morning and late in the evening to walk and water. I am thankful, because in deep winter I can't even do that, so here's to this simmering summer.
I found an essay that my cousin, Marge, wrote back in 2000. It is very important Anglin reflections that I wanted to copy here before but had accidently buried in a stack of papers.
Here is the first installment:
TO ALL OF YOU WHO PROUDLY RECALL EXPERIENCES ON THE FARM WHICH STILL STANDS, SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS, AND WHO KNOWS WHAT PLEASURE WE MAY HAVE IN STORE FOR US. By Marge Anglin Gast

D.W. & G.G
I guess there is no place to start, but summer is here and I will tell you how G.G (Grandma Grace) tried to keep me cool, likely also to keep me quiet or better yet asleep. She hung wet sheets over the screen facing the North, and if I would lay on the floor, perhaps a slight breeze would do the trick. The Anglins were floor sleepers and THE BOYS could be instantly asleep or instantly awake at D. W.'s (Daddy Wash) demand.

Thrashing day was a big event on the farm and I am sure G.G. did not need any help from me. Everything about threshing was big. Big machines, big meals, big aprons, big men with big appetites. The fellowship of the days toil surely must have kindled lasting friendships. Being a kid and spoiled what fun to get in the bins and have a rush of grain flow around me. Oh that you could have had that experience. That smell of rye and wheat, so fresh you had to eat some of it on the spot.

When I think of the many fun yet simple games we played I am reduced to tears. Only THE BOYS (two now) can fill you in on Goulah??? which was played north of the barn. Inside games were hide the thimble and fist-off. For more dangerous action we swung on a large rope from the east side of the barn way out the door!

Putting hay in the barn was work, but it seemed like fun to me. Talk about smells , hay is so wonderful. Actually I did not do any work except dusting, which I still hate. I was allowed to scrape some casing on butchering day but I had instructions on how to do it chisled in my brain.
Butchering day did have some excitment, but I hated killing the animal. Yet I had no trouble eating the good fried side meat. I was never bothered about killing chickens for Sunday dinner . It had to be done and I don't care for live ones. .....to be continued.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to part two. Keep 'em comin'! Love ya, Grace

    ReplyDelete