Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Movies in the 30s and early 40s

I admit that when I was a child living at 315 N. Washington, My brother and I attended way too many movies. Of course this was late 40s but even the first run movies (we did not get very many), were relatively innocent compared to today. Sometimes on a week-end we would see a double feature in both theaters. The Strand had more B run movies but had local news because the theater owner was Mr. Boyce who could be seen at all the games and special events to add to his presentations. The Centennial , on Center street was fancier and showed newer movies. Back then there was a new movie title every week, sometimes every few days.
Anyway, it seems that in the 1930s movie magazines were in their prime. Girls would collect them and cut out their favorites to post on their walls or paste in scrap books. I remember passing countless hours looking through Aunt Bette Anglin's detailed movie scrapbooks when I was a girl. She had assembled these as an early teen, I am sure, and they ended up at Grandma Graces for some reason. The movies depicted were no longer seen except maybe at an outdoor free show. In any event, some of these movies are considered classics now and are shown on TV.
My favorite of all time is "Bringing up Baby". Silly funny shtick with Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant. My favorite John Wayne era movie is not a western but "The Quiet Man" with a way younger than she looked, Maureen O'Hara.
In Aunt Anna Rapp.s seventeen year old diary written in the 1940s mentions a lot of movies she went to mostly on week-ends. Here is a short list: Bittersweet with Janette McDonald and Nelson Eddy, Love Thy Neighbor with Jack Benny and, Fred Allen and Mary Martin, Kitty Foyle with Ginger Rogers and Dennis Morgan, Andy Hardy- Private Secretary with Andy Rooney, Penny Serenade with Irene Dunne and Cary Grant. I have seen that one on TV and remember it was a very melodramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment