Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Marge cont. Stone house,windmill,privy,trees ect.

The stone house was quite a place,usually fairly cool and also housed the cream separator. That operation was really neat, but there was that smell, chicken and eggs stink, so does warm milk. I never drank milk until I was pregnant for Gretchen and Bob insisted. The stone house was a place of importance and so was the windmill near by. The sound of the windmill seemed ever present and what it accomplished was wonderful. Not too far away too far away was the out-house, and it, too, was of great importance. Oh yes, while we are talking smells, it was kept very clean and loaded with lime. The black and white pages of catalogs were the first to disappear and as important as it was, it was visited as needed and quickly exited.

About the only eggs that I liked to gather was Easter eggs. Oh what a lot of eggs were colored and hidden. Easter was such a wonderful day, and how tired G.G. must have been. Family gatherings were large and food always seemed to be delicious and plentiful. If memory serves me right, I think that on one such occasion Uncle Dal had Army rations for his dinner , as punishment for his lack of correspondence to his brothers serving their country.
G.G. seemed to have an unspoken rule that THE BOYS should come on Sundays. I marvel at THE BOYS obedience through the years.
There were trees on the farm that I recall and impacted my kid-hood. Mulberry trees may have fruit for some humans, but it seemed like the birds won out. Poor G.G. who had to deal with the fly-over on the laundry.
There was a catalpa tree near the end of the drive with very big leaves and very big worms. I don't recall D.W. ever fishing, but others enjoyed the worms. There were pine trees of some size in the yard and they would not be of any significance, except that o a nite of hide and seek A.J. Rusher shot a bead of urine on me. I am sure I let it be known to all guests that were attending Dal and Doris' wedding shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment