Monday, August 31, 2015

Long Anglin and Rapp summer memories.

The first summer I went to Methodist church camp at Epworth Forrest. was a really new experience. I thought I would be lonely because I did not like playing  sports, but I was wrong. Anyway, none of my clothes were suitable for camp so G. Grace Anglin and dad conspired to get some fabric to my Aunt Maxine Rapp who was right down the road from G Grace. Aunt Mac, as we called her, was a genius in sewing and knitting. Plus, she was so pretty and fun to be around. She whipped up some cute shorts and tops that were just the ticket, and she did not use a pattern , just measuring and pinning stuff on me like the great fashion houses of Paris. She made me feel pretty special. Hope we all "thanked " her enough.

Yesterday the Presby church  I go to had a gargantuan picnic over at the park. It was complete with full music praise team and lots and lots of food inside. Someone I had met while judging herbs dragged her husband over to sit with me. We got to talking about the park and the pier. She had not grown up here so was interested in the town history. Of course I had to tell her how different things were then. I spent most of my teen summers at that beach. My brother , K. Donn Anglin, was usually present and showing off to my beach blanket companion girlfriends. The movies were a great influence then and it seemed the only movies we were getting in our small town were Tarzanesque. Anyway K. had one of those skimpy Tarzan style suits several years in a row .(Check out an early one in my March 26, 2009 post) Most kids jumped off the top level of the tower on the pier. But Tarzan would not do that, so K. perfected his dive, all eyes of my girlfriends up-on him. First time up the ladder that late summer day K. was in fine form but half way to the water he felt his trunks give way and start to slide. He caught them with his big toe just as he entered the lake. I was not amused.

My lunch companions live on "the island" at Winona. They were telling me fishing in the channel stories, so I told them about your dad (Glen Long) fishing with Don Sand ( another Winona boy) when they were twelve or so. It was night and they were trolling with Don's lantern in the bow. Suddenly they hear a swoosh and a big splat! Shinning in the light of the lantern, they saw a large BASS that had jumped into the boat. However, it was not quite bass season sooooo - the decision was made to throw it back into the water. How do we know that this was not a made up story? If you knew Don Sand, who grew-up to be a State Cop. and Mr. honesty, Glen Long, you would not ask. By the way. I asked if Glen's freshman college room mate was still living on the channel . They said he and his wife (they are both blind) are still there ,Mr. and Mrs Roger Smith.


No comments:

Post a Comment