Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thinkin' Lincoln

My Grandson Nick had his 19th birthday yesterday and I remembered last night that in Lincoln' 19th year he got a job taking livestock down the river on a barge. I think it was summer. That trip seemed to have a big influence on the rest of his life.

I was lucky enough to have been on several "history trips " with Nick when he was younger. I hope they will be useful to Nick in the years to come.

Back in the early 1960s I got to visit Lincoln's " birth site" when my sorority, Delta Theta Tau, was having a convention in Louisville. I was a little underwhelmed when the Park Ranger explained that this was a " representation " of the log cabin in the location where they think he was born. Anyway, there was good food, music and friends and a cruise down the mighty Ohio river on "The Bell Of Louisville" sternwheeler.

No comments:

Post a Comment