Friday, October 28, 2016

My old computer would do everything but create a new post. The hoops I had to jump through to write this on my even older laptop: next to impossible !!
Went to Enhanced Fitness this morning for a good Fri. morning activity.
The Cubs are playing in the World Series at Wrigley field tonight. This is something my dad dreamed of every year. Hope his spirit is there.
This is a very warm Halloween weekend. The last day of October promises to be glorious. When the kids were out of the house I compiled all the recipes they seemed to enjoy growing up. Brown October Stew was one of my faves and with age they warmed to it and actually forgave the fact that it was named stew. Here is a copy of my version.
                                       Brown October Stew

   One or two of our darlings did not care for the brown part of this recipe.  Stew gets a bad rap from institutions that serve anything sloppy with gristly meat and call it stew.
I'm sure I found this hearty soup waiting for Glen to come home from work, after putting the kids to bed in their twin beds up in their little room with the cherry wood floor at Murtaughs.

3 lbs. of lean chuck chunks devoid of fat and gristle.     3 T flour.
one large onion chopped                                                  1/4 t ea. salt and pepper
one small stick cinnamon                                                1/4 t ginger
4 large scrubbed carrots, quartered
Brown meat after dusting with flour, salt and pepper
4 cups V8 or vegetable juice
Put all  in crock pot and cook on low all day or medium three and one half hours.
You  may add vegies( squash ) and lemon slices half way through the cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment