Thursday, March 26, 2009


A little more about gardening is in order. Dad couldn't wait to get off the farm but he soon discovered the man could leave the country but the country does not leave the man. This is my brother, K. in 1942 watering dad's Victory garden and there I am waiting my turn. We followed the guide lines for a Victory garden. Dad was always going a little further. He loved watermelon but should have remembered the sun and soil requirements. We got lots of leaves - no melon's.
That summer we still rented the house on Center St. The next year we started buying 315 N. Washington St where we had an even bigger Victory garden but kept it simple. There were lots of other experiments in farming that went on later. Some were pretty funny.
I am going to post a story about life on the farm that my wonderful cousin Marge wrote. I also wrote a little about growing up on the farm when K. and I were small. All of that should wait until closer to warm weather in my thinking . Then there is the story about dad and the lawn problems before he just made it all into parking lot and shop. I wrote an entire writer's group piece that included the lawn debacle. Maybe I can find it and publish it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment