Thursday, July 21, 2011

Marge writes about friends, tasks and making do.

Phyl Knepper Landis, a life long friend came to spend the night with me at the farm. though we were good friends the attraction was named Jack. When we thought we could sneak downstairs and outside to D.W.'s vehicle, we found all we needed to roll our own smokes. Jack eventually came home. I think he was more interested in Phyl's sister. How stupid we were, and smart we thought we were.

There are so many things that were done as commonplace then and so foreign to the young today. You can just not imagine all the jobs to be done. The butter to paddle before the churn came. The lamps to fill, the wicks to trim, and the globes to clean. there were always socks to darn, shoestrings broken and, yes, often cardboard insoles to use until shoes could be found. I was so blessed with hand-me downs from cousin Marilyn, who lived in Minneapolis. she had lovely things, and mother would remodel to fit me. I did not really know Marilyn then., except that she was Aunt Ethel's grand daughter.

G.G. had what was called in summer her "good dress", made of washable cotton. When it was showing some wear, it became her everyday dress. And as it became more used, the remaining good parts were made into and apron and what was yet to be salvaged cut into quilt blocks. The cycle was repeated over and over. Button, snaps, edt. were removed for other use. Men's clothing was recycled into pants, knickers,and jackets for young boys. I loved to go through the button box and often thought sewing might be fun. I never experienced that joy until many years later. I'm sure the game- button button who's got the button must have been born at some mother's knee. Mending for THE BOYS surely never got caught up. Live-in grandmothers were a blessing for this. Shoes were few and so-called everyday shoes always used when required. Sunday shoes were just that, until retired to the former as needed.

The list of jobs to take care of is beyond belief. The garden, the canning, drying the corn, and daily tasks to perform. Likely there were times when G.G. was pregnant, diapering another, chasing several. She had super strength, physical and mental. She loved the arts and I am sure that helped. She was known for her flair for speaking readings.

Life on the farm had it's many blessings, but oh, the hard work. Animals to be born and nurtured, children sick, overworked husbands.

Why must I reach old age to realize the sacrifices made for me.

What a sad day when Uncle Don's wife and son died. What heartbreak engulfed the family and friends, the young husband shaken beyond belief.

Having two uncles in World War 2 filled me with pride and untold fear all at once. I pray all who read this will never need to experience the devastating news that my Grandparents received on that tragic day in December.

THE BOYS had a great capacity to love. They showered me with it. Bill taught me to drive even though I think the real reason was so he and Wilma could smooch. The lesson was brief about the ditch on the right, and go slow. They gave money they did not have, lodging they could not spare, aid in obtaining a job (that I walked out on) and the list goes on. I received advice and was too dumb to accept , loved me like a sister and tolerated me like a spoiled niece.

Appreciate your family ties and keep them tied.

It has been said that Grace Anglin thought her BOYS could do no wrong. You know she was right.

July 27, 2000-----------Marge Anglin Gast

No comments:

Post a Comment